Friday, April 13, 2012

Weightloss and Gyaru

So! I am totally not posting what I said I would, haha, sorry kids!
But I wanted to blog about something that is a big deal in the gyaru community all over the world really. And that is the factor of weight and weightloss.

I myself have lost weight before and am in the process of losing more as we speak!
But before I get into that I want to talk about the struggles some of us gals face with dealing with trying to be gal, but yet not being the right size.



First and foremost, Japanese people in general are pretty small. One of the most drastic changes in going from looking at an American population versus the Japanese population is the ratio of overweight and obese persons in each country. The rate of obesity in America is an incredibly large and terrible number. Whereas in Japan, there is quite a lot less. And this can merely be traced to the fact that portion sizes in Japanese restaurants are significantly smaller than US portions, and the second most popular beverage to water is unsweetened green tea!
In the US, we have huge portion sizes, the clean-plate club phenomenon, and Coca Cola being one of the most popular beverages here. Taking a random picture of people will really show you how it is.



Needless to say, us foreign girls that get interested in gyaru sometimes have to worry about weightloss. The aveage size of a Japanese female plays a part in the sizing of Japanese clothing, and therefor our favorite Japanese brands are fitted to be worn by a generally petite population. This can also post a problem for tall gaijin gyaru as well!

Also, due to genetics, a lot of us western girls have BOOBS to worry about.
Some of the more fitted clothing will have generally small bust measurements!
When shopping on Yumetenbo or Rakuten, make sure you check the bust size on the size chart.
Photobucket
I am a 38D so I'm best with tops and dresses that have a bust of 85cm or higher! But pay attention to the material as well when shopping!

So basically one motivation when getting into gal with have with losing weight is fitting into the brands we love!
Brands like LIZ LISA tend to have a "one size fits all" sizing to where the sizes are pretty small! That's enough motivation to get me losing more weight! I want to fit into some Liz Lisa some day <3 Another factor is of course the images of gyaru Models!

Models are skinny for a reason. They are canvases in which designers put their clothes on. A lot of models still take great care to stay in the shape they are in, sometimes healthy, and sometimes not!
Not only do these girls have a naturally petite frame because of genetics, they take care to keep themselves skinny for their jobs!
We want to be confident and hot like them, so this motivates us to not only improve our style as gyaru, but to fit the bill persay and emulate their body form.
For some of us, it just isn't plausible because of genetics or possible problems such as thyroid problems. But for others it can definitely happen! Though we should all ideally aim for what form is best for our bodies and minds, we don't always do this!

And of course there are the ever-present weightloss success stories at the back of every gyaru magazine!

Magazines are jam packed with everything you need to get pretty as a gyaru! Tanning creams, makeup, lashes, contacts, special diet teas, boob enhancers, hair removal. It's all here! And it therefor is obvious that we as foreigners are not the only ones aspiring to be thin in order to feel more gyaru or happy with ourselves! It's a global feeling.

It doesn't matter if you want to be a healthy weight, or model thin; weightloss and gyaru are very close indeed even in the country it originated.

And now on to my story!

Originally I had gained a few pounds when I started college, but then out of the blue I saw pictures of me at a party and realized just how big I had become. I honestly, hadn't even noticed! I mean, I didn't feel as confident at all, but I didn't realize that I was indeed FAT.


This is me at my fattest on the left. And ugliest. This is so embarassing to post. But it happened, and I'm not proud.


This is me on the right, and 30 pounds less. I still have more to go!

I've been stuck around this weight for a while. BUT THAT'S ABOUT TO CHANGE!
I know I am capable and I will do this :) Sooooo in hopes that I can fit into my favorite gyaru brands and feel confident and happy in myself I will continue on this journey! And though at the end my thighs will probably still touch, I just want to feel super sexy. And I know I am on the right track!

If you are down in the dumps about your weight, and can't seem to get motivated, I suggest blogging about it. I had set up simple and small goals for myself, blogged about my feelings during the process and utilized the support I had through blogging. Also it is good to include a long term goal in this as well. I am still doing it!
My weightloss tumblr is : http://thinlittlemonsterx.tumblr.com/
Let's support each other!

5 comments:

  1. THIS IS VERY INSPIRATIONAL!!!! I'm a "still-processing" gal, and i'm trying to lose so much weight. I've been reading gyaru mags such as Egg and Ranzuki, there were some ads on weight loss. I was shocked on how skinny they were and saw how i was. I'm so glad i read this Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... i really wanna lose weight bad as fast as possible .... and you just inspired me right for now .....
    Im gonna put some extra extra extra effort on my self ... and im just 50 kgs and i wanna be 45 or less .... so... thx u so muchu......arigattu guzaimasu~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future...
    Weightlosstop

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative..
    weightloss coach

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was interesting and cute,love this fashion,even when i look more'punk'.
    I have recently gained weight,I am in 42 but I want to return to 37. This was motivating.

    ReplyDelete